Anyway, this seems to be a rite of passage for new and small blogs: This week Elise passed on the Liebster to me (and some other wonderful bloggers that I enjoy, do check out her post).
I think the Liebster is a quaint and lovely thing amongst the blog community, so I'm happy to join in. Liebster itself means darling, lovely, beloved in German. I made the banner above from two free fonts, the first being HandyHandy. Handy is the German slang for cell phone and that's the only reason I chose it.
Anyway, here goes…
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create 11 questions for the people you've tagged to answer.
3. Choose people and link them in your post.
4. Go tell them!
5. No tag backs.
11 Things About Me:
I was born by the sea.
My favorite book is A Clockwork Orange. Just don't mention the film.
I didn't like the Narnia books as a kid because I thought Strawberry was a better name for a horse than Fledge.
I am a nervous driver and not proud of it. But I can drive stick and prefer it.
But I have a joint major in Film and Television/Politics…
And I live near Philadelphia.
I once spent a summer living in Harlem and working on the Coney Island Boardwalk.
During NFL playoffs I guess the winners based on their 'costumes' (I've correctly predicted the Superbowl winner for the past three years).
Elise also asked me:
1. Are you named after anyone?
Yes, I was named after my mum's best friends at high school. I only ever met one of them (and it wasn't Gillian).
2. If you were another person, would you be friends with yourself? Why or why not?
This is a brilliant question! Honestly, I think it would depend on who I was! Sometimes true extroverts and bubbly characters can be disarmed by my dry nature. But I can be quite charming and very interesting so if I gave myself a chance I'm sure I'd be friends with me…!
3. Name one thing you worry about running out of.
Money and/or my health. Moving to the USA has been costly and I work part-time so I don't have health insurance. Coming from the UK I'm not used to worrying about paying for healthcare should the need arise.
4. What are some of your favorite sayings?
"No shit, Sherlock" - although I'm wary about saying that in polite American company!
As a lot of my family came from East London so I also love the Cockney alphabet. It surprises me how many phrases I say naturally are actually Cockney rhyming slang. Americans have no idea what I'm talking about, but it makes great dinner party chat. Confused? Have a butcher's 'ere.
5. Why did you start blogging?
I was an unemployed graduate, so it was par for the course. I 're-launched' when I emigrated. I'd like to continue and move towards blogging more about cultural differences between the US and UK.
6. What is your favorite food or type of food?
Blood oranges, really dark chocolate, and seafood, but not together. I'll try almost anything once, and I love food with a process, such as Xiao Long Bao, sushi, or a proper cup of tea.
7. Describe one of your most memorable life experiences.
Moving from England to Scotland. It doesn't sound like a big deal (compared to my recent move) but I was middle school age, and I learned that discrimination isn't always skin-deep. Moving to Scotland changed my whole life for the better though.
8. What's the best thing anyone has ever said to you?
Elise, who gave me the Liebster, actually commented on my blog recently, saying "I love your blog because it reveals so many new things to me" which I really appreciated.
9. What movies could you watch over and over again and still love?
Stranger Than Fiction, Little Miss Sunshine, and Trainspotting.
As a film student I re-watched many movies. After 20 or so viewings, I still love Trainspotting. Danny Boyle is my favorite director because he's so versatile (plus he did the London Olympics opening ceremony). The other two movies are just beautiful.
10. Describe one of your life goals.
To complete the Guardian cryptic crossword - I got close once. Americans just don't get cryptic crosswords, but boy do they hurt my brain.
11. When do you feel your happiest?
|Incidentally, this is the 50th Best Roller Coaster in the world|
Phew, that was tough. Now it's my turn to be quizmaster.
1. What gets your blood pumping?
2. What's your favorite dessert?
3. What made you giggle at school?
4. What's the best part about where you live?
5. What book that I probably haven't read would you recommend to me?
6. What's your favorite word?
7. You're hosting a dinner party - what's the menu?
8. What do you love to talk about?
9. Name a classic movie you haven't seen.
10. If you were tree what type of tree would you be and why?
11. What will you dress as for Halloween 2013?
The blogs I nominate are…
Selena from Oh, the Places We Will Go
Alice from Pretty Confused
The Raspy Wit
I look forward to your posts if you decide to play along - please feel free to use my banner or one of the many other Liebster logos available online!